Memo to: All OPSEU Members
Copy to: Executive Board Members, OPSEU Staff
Subject: Nominations for the 2017 Convention Awards
Every year at Convention, OPSEU honours locals and individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to the union.
The following is a list of awards and the criteria to be considered when nominating individuals and Locals.
Human Rights Award
This award is presented to one local and one individual having made the most significant contribution to the advancement of human right issues and the principles of equity.
Health and Safety Award
This award is presented to one local and one individual having made the most outstanding contribution to the advancement of our members' interests in the area of occupational health and safety.
Leah Casselman Award
This award is presented to one local and one individual for mobilizing activities and who best exemplifies the spirit and intent of "mobilizing to win."
Live and Let Live Award
This award is presented to the one local that promotes, advances, and advocates on behalf of Live and Let Live fund to combat HIV/AIDS.
Tim Brown Award
This award is presented to a person of First Nation status and non-status, Métis, or Inuit background for outstanding contributions to advancing the voice of Indigenous people in OPSEU and the labour movement.
Honorary Lifetime Membership (retired members)
This award is presented to the retired members who have made significant contributions to their local or to the union as a whole.
Stanley H. Knowles Humanitarian Award
This award is to be bestowed on individuals, or groups who exemplify the spirit, dedication and ideals of its first recipient, Canadian parliamentarian Stanley H. Knowles.
Rainford Jackson Education and Development Fund Award
This fund is awarded annually to support organizations or projects which aim to reduce racism and improve the condition of minorities in our society through education and organization.
- The award recipients will be decided by the Executive Board.
- Nominations for consideration for the award must be received in the Corporate Secretary's Office no later than Friday, January 6, 2017.
- Nominations may be made by any local member, Executive Board Member, staff member, and committee member.
- Nominations must include a brief statement indicating the nature of the significant contribution for which the award is warranted.
- No Executive Board Member whose local is under consideration, or who has nominated a candidate, or who has been nominated may vote on the award.
All submissions must be received no later than January 6, 2017.